Design Problem

To take an existing unsuccessful app and redesign it for a better user experience.

The Task

"The dead have risen, and you have 4 days to design an application for zombie hunters to use in the field. Zombie hunters are being sent care packages of an iPhone and a Square brand blood reader to track this infection. We have to find a cure. Don't get out hunters killed with dumb design decisions." That was our mission. Our class was divided into different sub sections of the application. My group was tasked with authentication and sign up. We were debriefed on the task, given a list of constraints, and then set loose.

The main idea here is RAPID prototyping and iterative design processes, with a very odd and specific set of constraints. The app had to be able to handle multiple users on each device with bank app level security. We had to be able to authenticate the users to ensure the data's integrity as they go to upload while not getting them eaten by a lengthy process.



The Problem

Zombies are attracted to lights and sounds. Our user, the zombie hunter, needs to be able to use the app with one hand very quickly and without making any commotion. Additionally, we need to be sure we can authenticate the user, allow multiple users on a device, ensure data is stored on the device until cell service is restored, and to ensure the quality of data that the zombie hunters are uploading.



My Responsiblities

For this project, we worked in a fairly large group. Me and my good friend Chris Vonburske assumed the creative director / art director type roles for this project, and lead the group. It was important to be organized and to divide and conquer due to the size of the groups, the size of the project, and the time constraints. We concepted, sketched, whiteboarded, researched, and prototyped before taking everything to high fidelity.



The Final Result

Clickable Prototype

Presentation



UX Process

You gotta know your user, even if they're a zombie hunter.

Research

As a group, we sat down at a whiteboard for a couple hours and fleshed out what the problem was that we were facing and how to approach it. After understanding the problem, we took to an observational research phase. This included watching an episode of the Walking Dead and considering how they would be using the app we were designing as they were moving through the zombie filled wasteland. This observational research was surprisingly beneficial to us, as we learned a lot more about the user and their environment through doing so.

A portion of our team spent the weekend researching how other apps handle the things we were taxed with: onboarding, user sign in, user sign up, multiple accounts, and authenticating the user. We also dug into two factor authentication and the different methods of authentication that exist.



Wireframes and Testing

Once we understood the user, the problem, and the common UI patterns I created a lofi paper prototype out of lofi wireframes and conducted a few user tests. These tests provided us with very important information as we went into the second round of iteration.



Personas

In order to keep the user in mind at all times, and to consider their preparedness for the technology as well as their ability to user their hands freely we created three different personas. All 3 are very different and provided us with very important context as we dug into the final stages of the app.





x
social share